2020-11-12 Progressive Dems of OC zoom meeting
These are notes that I made during a Zoom meeting.
Saying that Cal Cunningham was a weak candidate seems to assume that we could have found a stronger one. I doubt that that woman (Smith?) would have been stronger.
Rebecca - we got a big FU from establishment Dems. Really?
The Clintons and Obama and David Price have become our enemies? Faisal Khan even said that David Price called ICE the “gestapo”. What does Price have to do to win PDOC approval or at least respect? Price hatred feels like group think, but then I don’t know the history.
Questions for Faisal Khan
Khan spoke at length, saying, for example, that he will no longer vote for anyone with whom he doesn’t agree 100%.
He proposed that PDOC and allies should have a press conference.
He wants to have one-on-one deep outreach with voters. His enthusiasm seems to stem from a video of Bernie Sanders successfully convincing someone of Medicare for All in a five minute talk.
- What if we talk, and you don’t convince me that Medicare for All is what I want? Do I become an enemy?
Khan stated that Pelosi won’t talk about progressive policies. How does he know?
At least you seem to think that saying “Defund the police” is not the best way to talk to people.
At least you seem to realize that David Price has called ICE the gestapo.
Need to have unity in Dems in NC.
Bring Omar to NC to unite people?
Policies I agree on
- immediate direct cash relief (temporary)
- universal basic income
- universal health care
- reduction of corporate subsidies
- adjustment of the tax code so that corporations and the very rich pay their fair share
- wealth tax
- transition away from fossil fuels
- ban dangerous pesticides and chemical additives
- end racial disparity in criminal sentencing
- improve police training and practices
- cancellation of college loan debts
- a moral foreign policy
- reparations for slavery
I suggest not saying
I don’t really understand intuitively the term neo-liberal. Could we say instead, unregulated capitalism? That seems to fit the definition.
- It’s about language
- Cunningham refused to meet with Medicare for All (that’s bad all right)
A policy idea
Us versus Them
“White people are our enemy.”
- Holy shit!
- We can at least keep on assuming patronizingly that they are simply misled.